All about how you can age comfortably and safely in your own home.
Should I go to a Curb-less shower or a One-piece Walk-in tub?
Many of are clients in Los Angeles are asking what will be the most cost-effective way to modify their bathroom for aging in place. The most common options are to install a one piece Walk-in tub or to built a curb-less /roll-in shower. These are the advantages and disadvantages of both options. Continue reading for the advantages and disadvantages of both and let us know which you prefer.
Advantages of a One-piece Walk-in Tub
· Cost less than a full roll-in shower remodeling
· Easier to bathe in than traditional bath tubs.
· Models may have a lot of features like jets and massage stream.
· Offered in several models user can choose from.
Disadvantages of Walk-in Tubs
· Most models have a poor draining system. Draining time can last up to several minutes.
· The design of the walk-in tub allows for a new maintenance concern: LEAKING. Overtime seals and gaskets depreciate and can be a costly repair and maintenance issue.
· Most one-piece walk-in tub are made out of Acrylic which is very hard to repair when broken.
· If draining is one of the major problem. There is no other way but to wait for the water to drain before the user can open the tub door to avoid a waterfall onto your bathroom floor.
· One-piece walk-in tub does not increase the value of a home. Most of the time they are only considered as a regular bathtub upgrade.
· Its very hard to accommodate an extra caregiver inside the tight walk-in tub. The results in an unsafe situation for the user and the caregiver.
· Perhaps the most significant drawback of a walk-in tub is its incompatibility with a wheelchair.
Advantages of a Curb-less Shower/ Roll-in Shower
· Whether the homeowner uses a wheelchair or not, a curb-less shower/ roll-in shower offers the highest level of accessibility. It can accommodate a walker, wheel- chair and caregivers to give user assistance.
· A curb-less shower/ roll-in shower also gives wheelchair users the option to transfer to a shower wheelchair in a safer environment.
· A curb-less shower/ roll-in shower modification can last for a very long time with a very minimal maintenance cost.
· A well-executed curb-less shower/ roll-in shower modification increase the value of the home when it comes time to sell.
· The design options are limitless. Curb-less shower can easily blend with the overall house design.
Disadvantages of a Curb-less Shower/ Roll-in Shower
· Initial cost is more expensive compared to a one-piece walk-in tub.
· Roll-in shower remodeling can take several weeks.
· Curb-less/ Roll-in shower take more real estate space compared to walk-in tub